RBA has increased interest rates get mortgage refinance advice HERE

Cairns Mortgage broker


Did you know you can buy real estate in Australia on a temporary resident visa? We provide expert advice if you are looking for loans for visa holders.

Let's find a home loan that will save you thousands! Enquire now.

    We specialise in helping temporary residents get their home loan approved

    Can you buy real estate in Australia without Permanent Residency?

    Yes, it is possible to get a home loan in Australia if you are on a temporary visa. However, the process is slightly more complex than the one for Australian citizens and permanent residents.

    We help you understand the particularities of home loans for visa holders while negotiating great loan terms and conditions —like interest rates, fees, and repayment terms— to fit your needs.

    Where to invest if you’re planning to get a loan for visa holders?

    Not every property in every location is eligible for all loan schemes. We will guide you while considering all the factors at play so you can choose the right property for your visa type and needs.

    Consider Cairns as it is a great option with a relatively affordable property market. We’re local experts, accredited with all major banking institutions and lenders, plus we’re affiliated with insurers via the Steadfast group. This means we can get a good deal on your loan insurance as a temporary visa holder.

    Who’s eligible for a temporary visa holder loan?

    Several temporary visa categories are eligible for real estate loans in Australia. If you hold any of these, we can help you get your home loan:

    • Skilled worker visa: 189, 190, 186, 489, 491, 494
    • Business visa: 188, 132
    • Student visas (with a post-study work visa): 500, 485
    • Partner visas: 820, 801
    • Temporary resident visas: 482, 407

    Do you need FIRB approval as a temporary visa holder?

    Yes, the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) oversees all foreign investment within Australia. As a temporary visa holder, you need to secure approval from them before you can buy property in the country.

    We can help guide you through the process of getting FIRB approval for your home loan with ease.

    Our Most Popular Lenders

    Lenders loans for visa holders

    Don’t miss out on your dream home

    We can help you get your home loan approved anywhere in Australia!

    Call us

    (07) 4211 3255

    How to get approved for a home loan as a temporary visa holder?

    Conditions vary depending on your visa category, but generally speaking, lenders mainly consider:

    • How long you’ve been living in Australia
    • Your financial stability and work history
    • How much money you have saved for your deposit
    • Your credit history

    What kind of property can you apply for on a temporary visa?

    Different types of visas have different restrictions, so we’ll give you personalised recommendations. However, in most temporary visa cases you’re eligible to buy:

    • off-the-plan
    • New homes
    • Vacant land

    The Australian dream is closer than you think!

    Reviews from our Clients



    Shane Clarke

    2 months ago - Google

    Using a mortgage broker can sometimes be a hit and miss process. Luckily for me, I came across Lauren Eakins on a google search and all the reviews are accurate.Lauren guided me through the mortgage process with enthusiasm and eagerness, finding great deals that suited my circumstances.

    Eddie Caine

    4 months ago - Google

    Lauren and the team have once again helped us secure the best available loan and rate for our mortgage. Seamlessly settled just before Christmas almost 3 years to the day since our first home settled. We wouldn’t trust anyone else! Five stars all the way! We have already referred multiple people and will continue to do so. Merry Christmas to the Eakins Finance and Insurance team.

    Steve Chan

    5 months ago - Google

    Outstanding service, the team at Eakins made the entire process of buying a new home as smooth and stress-free as possible. No question too dumb, no detail too small. I’d happily recommend them to friends and family.

    Let us do the maths, get a free Assessment today!

      Frequently asked questions

      It's the government department responsible for evaluating applications from foreigners falling into these categories:

      • Temporary Residents: Individuals holding temporary visas such as the 457 Work visa, spousal visa, temporary skill shortage visa, or student visa. If you belong to any of these visa categories, you are required to seek approval from the FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board) to purchase a property. Under this approval, you can buy one established dwelling for owner-occupancy purposes or an investment property that is either newly constructed or planned for construction. An exception exists if you are jointly purchasing the property as joint tenants with an Australian citizen in a spousal relationship, in which case approval is not necessary.


      • Foreign Investor: If you are classified as a foreign investor, obtaining approval from the FIRB is essential. This approval lets you purchase exclusively new properties or vacant land designated for construction, to rent it out to your child if they hold a temporary visa.


      There are certain scenarios where exceptions apply, so we always recommend getting professional guidance.

      • Australian Citizens
      • Australian Permanent residents
      • New Zealand Citizens
      • Temporary resident Purchasing with an Australian Citizen, unless you are buying the property together as tenants in common.
      • Foreigner buying a home with an Australian citizen, provided you are buying an owner-occupied home together as joint tenants and in a spousal relationship.
      • Foreigners buying a home with an Australian Permanent Resident when buying an owner-occupied home as joint tenants in a spousal relationship.

      Usually yes, but there are some exceptions, including when you are buying a property in a designated regional area and also when you meet requirements like living in the property for at least six months of the year. This varies significantly depending on several factors, so it's always better to get professional advice.

      The amount of money you can borrow will depend on several factors, such as your income, your employment history, the size of your deposit, and the lender's particular criteria. Usually, you can expect to borrow up to 80% of the property value.

      Yes, you are eligible to buy a property with a bridging visa, but it can be more challenging compared to when you have a permanent residency or a long-term visa. You also need to be aware of the fact that lenders are legally allowed to request further documentation whenever they deem it necessary.

      Buying property in Australia can help you establish ties and show your commitment to the country, which could potentially strengthen your case for permanent residency. It demonstrates your willingness to invest in the Australian economy and become a part of the community, but it's important to note that it is not a guaranteed pathway and the impact will depend on your visa type.