How the First Home Owners’ Grant works
In Queensland, the State Government provides financial assistance to first home buyers who are buying or building a new house, unit or townhouse through the First Home Owners’ Grant.
To be eligible for the grant, you must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident over 18;
- Must not have previously owned property in Australia;
- Be buying or building a brand new home
- Signed a contract dated 1 July 2018 or later
- Must move into the new home as your principal place of residence within 1 year of the completed transaction and live there continuously for 6 months
The grant is only available for the purchase or construction of a new house, unit or townhouse that is valued at less than $750k. Speak to one of our mortgage brokers in Cairns today to find out more.
How to get the First Home Owners’ Grant
To get the grant, you need to submit a formal application in the approved form through the Office of State Revenue. Our mortgage brokers can assist you with the application process.
What you can use the First Home Owners’ Grant for
The Grant can only be used to contribute to the cost of the purchase or construction of a new house, unit or townhouse.
When you receive the First Home Owners’ Grant
The timeframe for payment will vary depending on the type of purchase you’re making (e.g. buying an established new home, buying off-the-plan, or building your home).
The mortgage broker’s role in the process
Our mortgage brokers in Cairns can help you check your eligibility for the First Home Owners’ Grant, and assist you with the application process. Contact us to find out more.